Saturday, June 1, 2013

Credenza Facelift


I have been on a "redo the dining room" kick. You know when you move and you just need to redo things? Maybe it's just me. The furniture we bought to fill our tiny apartment doesn't quite fit this room. The dining room is so big and bright! The owner put in travertine floors and painted the walls a very neutral color, so our dark furniture looked so awkward and heavy. I was thinking "let's replace everything", but unfortunately, Rory and I are not made of money. If only we could be ::sigh::
I did a little Pinterest browsing and saw a lot of tutorials on painting furniture and we decided to give it a try. I was a little apprehensive because this is Ikea grade furniture (though it's from Overstock); the kind that's not solid wood. The paint experts at Home Depot recommended we  use Rustoleum spray paint and also a spray paint primer (I can't remember the brand). After the doors were off and taped, we sprayed some primer on one of the drawers and it bubbled up. Not supposed to happen, right? We put that to the side and just went with several coats of the regular paint. All turned out pretty well! We did have to lightly sand the fifth or sixth coat of paint because some oil (probably pledge) came through and did not allow us to have an even coat of paint. The light sanding and one final coat did the trick!


We are both really happy with how it turned out. I think it breaks up all of the dark furniture pretty well. I do have to give Rory credit for the placement of the white paint. It was his idea to leave the pulls a wood finish. He's so design savvy. I still want to find different dining chairs to obtain a more eclectic look, but I'll have to wait on that. If you come across any cool chairs in a dumpster or on the side of the road, let me know!

By the way, just keeping it real with the high chair in the corner!





xo
-Ali

2 comments :