Wednesday, June 26, 2013

I'm a Writer?

When I was a kid, if someone asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up, my only response was "a mom". I was never the type of person to have career goals. I wanted to get married, have kids, and be a 1950's house wife. I always loved to draw, write, photograph things; I never thought about turning any of that into a career.

After high school, with my friends going off to college, I got a job at a local pet store. I applied because I liked animals.. who doesn't? After a few years of working in that little store and a bad break up, I felt like I needed a change. I was twenty years old, couldn't believe I wasn't close to being married or having kids, so I thought the next best thing was to become a preschool teacher. The classes were pretty easy and it only took a few months to obtain my early childhood education units. I started teaching preschool in December of 2005 and stayed in the field until my layoff (ten days before our wedding) in August of 2011. 

The last year and a half has been really hard. Especially before Logan, I felt like I wasn't contributing to my family. I applied to preschools, nanny jobs, YMCA.. anything related to the field I had become so passionate about and I never got anywhere. I think the reasoning is because where I live is very conservative. I am a (most of the time) pink haired girl with tattoos all over me. Though my tattoos are related to the Bible, I understand that it's hard for some people to see past that especially in child care. They just see tattoos, piercings, bright hair, and that is all that matters to them. It's hard to be judged solely upon your appearance, but that is unfortunately human nature.

After Logan was born I started thinking of other ways to bring in an income. It needed to be something I could do at home and it needed to be something that I care about. I thought about watching another kid at my home, but it made me feel sad to think about taking attention away from Logan (how am I going to have another baby thinking that way?). Staying at home with a young sleeping baby, I discovered the world of blogs. I stumbled onto A Beautiful Mess through Pinterest and it led to so many more wonderful blog discoveries. This is what triggered the thought to start my own blog. I was hesitant for a while. I thought "Who would want to read about my life?" So I didn't do it.

It wasn't until I branched out my job search on Craigslist and stumbled upon freelance writing that I thought having a blog would help my chances of getting a job. So I made this blog, applied to some jobs, got my first contract, and am about to start on another with photography included!
 
I am so thrilled to be starting this new chapter of life, this new career of mine. I am at home with my girl, enjoying blogging, sponsoring Freckled Italian and Smile and Wave, and working! It feels so good to do something I am passionate about. Having these few articles published is the best feeling in the world.  You can see them here and make sure to check that website often as I will have more articles on it in the coming months. The website is in a soft launch right now and will be doing it's major launch in August.

I have been grinning from ear to ear whilst writing this. I am happy you are following along and are interested in what's going on with us. It really means so much to me and I can't thank you enough.


xo
-Ali

1 comment :

  1. You go girl!! The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time. Sounds like you've figured that out. xo

    ReplyDelete