Monday, June 3, 2013

June Gloom



It's only the third day of the month, but "June Gloom" is in full swing here. I usually would be thrilled because I am a lover of cold weather. I would much rather be in a big sweater, cuddled in a blanket, or sitting by the fireplace than sweating profusely and lathering myself with SPF 55. But moving into this house and having our first real garden has changed my usual distaste for the sun.

We have been working almost every weekend on our garden since we moved in last August. It started out as a dirt patch loaded with decorative rocks tilled in. Rory even dug up a dead cat! I have learned that gardening is all about trial and error. I have learned that hibiscus dies in our dirt, that grass dies in our dirt, and that succulents and lavender are the route for me. We did lay down sod, but are having to let it die. No matter what we do, it browns over night in very random patches. We are going to rip it out and replace it with pavers and walk on wood chips. I wanted Logan to have a grassy backyard, but we have a huge grassy area out front and I figure wood chips are at the park; she'll be fine.

I am looking forward to the gloom burning off (I can't believe I just said that) so we can continue to enjoy our little outdoor space.

xo
-Ali

1 comment :

  1. Cute...I love succulents! We have fake ones inside :)

    ReplyDelete