Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Like Mother, Like Daughter. Sort of.



That is me.. in all of my 1980's glory. "Alison" shirt and all, thanks mom. It's hard to not notice the casts on my legs as well....

Metatarsus Adductus- 
noun
A deformity of the foot in which the forepart of the foot is rotated and fixed on the long axis of the foot, so that the sole faces the mid line of the body. Also called in toe.

I was born with what my mom refers to as "pretzel legs". I was casted, casted some more, casted some more, and wore out turning shoes to correct the problem. I actually still have a problem with my right foot turning in after walking for long periods of time and this in turn causes lots of hip pain. With no health insurance, there's not much I can do. Thanks Obama care for coming through this year as promised! Oh wait...

Anyway, when Logan was born we noticed her forefeet turned in (just like mama), but not severely enough to have surgery or cause any alarm. We massaged her teeny toes for the first four months of her life with the hope that they'd straighten out.. they didn't. Her left forefoot turned in much more than her right, but her case was still very mild. After a trip to a podiatrist, we were referred to a pediatric orthopedist for possible casting. Eeeeek! I'm sure you can imagine how my heart sunk. Thinking about how we'd have to drive to Los Angeles several times a month, not being able to take her in the pool anymore this summer, she's on the verge of crawling... my mind was running with all of the ways casting would inhibit her (and me).

We drove an hour and a half to LA, with the thought we'd be coming home with a casted baby and several thoughts, still, of how inconvenient it would be. I am such a jerk. Sitting in the waiting room at Children's Hospital LA was quite the reality check. Logan was the only "normal" kid there.. God truly was showing me that it could be far worse. Children with severe deformities were waiting alongside of us. Children in wheelchairs, a child with a halo drilled into his skull, children with dwarfism, children with major mental and physical delays were all surrounding my "normal" and healthy family. I could have cried sitting there, but I just turned to Rory and said "This really makes you feel blessed doesn't it?" I felt like such a jerk for whining about the possibility of having a cast on her leg for a few weeks here and there. My child does not have any major delays or disabilities.. no diseases.. nothing inhibits her.. and MY GOD I am so grateful.

I am grateful for Logan every day. I thank God every day for her, for her health.. but today I am humbled and feel overwhelmed with God's blessings. Logan could have severe problems, and she doesn't. If she did, I wouldn't love her any less... but she doesn't, and I am grateful for a happy, thriving, and again.. healthy baby. 


Mark 10:16 And He took the children in
His arms, placed His hands on them and blessed them.

 xo
-Ali 

1 comment :

  1. I couldn't have said it better myself; you are very blessed. Also, sorry about the Alsion T shirt. It was the 80s. No other excuse. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete