Monday, September 30, 2013

Paleo Brownies

The hardest thing about eating Paleo is not indulging in brownies, cookies, cake, and all that flour filled goodness I've enjoyed eating my entire life. Well, thank God for Pinterest (and Megan); because I've discovered Paleo desserts!

I found this recipe for a Paleo Brownie Pie and I gave it a try!
You will need: 
4 eggs 
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder 
3/4 cup raw honey 
3 tbsp coconut oil (melted) 
2 tsp vanilla 
a pinch of salt 

Combine all of the ingredients together in your mixer or by hand and pour into a greased pie pan (I greased my pan with a paper towel dipped in a bit of the melted coconut oil)
The mixture will be very soupy, but don't be alarmed.. it's supposed to be (I think)! 

Bake at 350* for 30 minutes.. let it cool.. and voila, Paleo brownies! 
^please excuse my "taste tester" area and my "oops I touched it with the hot pad" mark^
  If you follow the original source, you can also make a Paleo chololate frosting with more coconut oil and coconut milk, but I do not like coconut so the 3 tbsp of oil in the batter was plenty for me.
  I like a cold brownie, so I enjoyed it more after it had been refrigerated for a while.. but all in all, it was pretty delicious for a dairy and gluten free dessert! If you have any sugestions on what I could replace the coconut oil with, I'd appreciate you letting me know in the comments! I try to avoid all the coconut Paleo ingredients, but sometimes you just can't escape it. I hope this recipe works out for you if you try it!

xo
-Ali

2 comments :

  1. Did it taste like a brownie? BTW where did you get that glass pie plate from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely texturally different.. more dense than fluffy, but it did taste like a brownie! I felt like the coconut taste was a little overpowering, but that could just be because I don't like coconut!
      It's pyrex from the grocery store :)

      Delete