Tuesday, October 8, 2013

What Will She Think?

So, you've seen it.. you've read it; I have purple hair and tattoos. Just wanted to start off there just in case you forgot. Well, I was talking to my lovely gal pal, Bonnie, the other day (who has pink hair) and she said she was thinking about dyeing her hair lavender; when she told one of her sons he said "Mom's don't have purple hair". Now, her son was being silly I'm sure... he is quite the character, but it got me thinking about what Logan will think of me in the future.

When I was growing up, I was obsessed with "Full House".. better yet, I was obsessed with Uncle Jesse ::swoon::. I wished that I had a cool motorcycle riding, tattooed, drummer, guitar playing and even mullet sporting Uncle or Dad. Not that I don't love my parents, but I always felt like such a black sheep among my entire family. My mom and sister are petite, conservative, non farting, non swearing ladies.. and though my Dad is very farty, swears and has my same sick sense of humor, he's still pretty normal looking. My Dad did sport some feathered hair back in the day, but it's no Uncle Jesse style!


Apparently I used to yell at my mom to follow the bikers I saw from my car seat, rocked out to whatever jukebox was playing rock and roll, and I even drew tattoos on my Cabbage Patch Kids. This love of rock, tattoos, and an alternative lifestyle is in my soul.. I was born with a passion for it all. I know this because as I mentioned before, I am a black sheep. No one in my family looks like me or has the desire to.. so I didn't see it anywhere and think "I want to be like that"; I just do. I don't feel like myself if my hair isn't colorful.. if my tattoos were gone.. and it's hard to not have all my piercings in.

Before I was married, I had already been heavily tattooed for a few years and I've been dyeing my hair every color of the rainbow since I got out of a Catholic high school that didn't allow an "unnatural appearance". I always thought that when I became a mom, my kids would think I was the awesome mom.. the one who doesn't look like most other moms, but I am beginning to think that is not how it's going to be. I think no matter what you look like, what music you listen to, or how "cool" you are, your kids are going to think you are totally lame.

Though she may think I am the weird mom at some point, I'm sure (I hope) she'll appreciate me for being true to myself and that's really all that matters.

What about you? Do you think your kids see you differently than you thought they would?

xo
-Ali

No comments :

Post a Comment