Friday, August 1, 2014

A Funk

I am in a bit of a funk lately and I'm not quite sure how to pull myself out of it. It all started with the move I suppose; everything happened so quickly and as soon as we were moved in, I finally stopped to notice that my ears hadn't felt normal for a week or so. I mentioned to Rory what was going on and if my inner ears still felt swollen, I'd go to the doctor. The next day I pulled in to my garage and everything started spinning as soon as I stopped the car. I took some deep breaths and nothing helped. I had to get Logan out of the sweltering car, so I dizzily carried her in to the house, layed down on the floor and watched everything spin around me for an hour. I felt like that was the point that I needed to see a doctor. I crawled upstairs and sat down on the computer to look and see what doctor accepted our insurance and the internet was out! I got on my phone and I had no network to search either. Between entertaining Logan, the room spinning, and holding the line with AT&T for forty five minutes, I finally had network to find the nearest urgent care and their operating hours. Rory got home just in time for me to rush out the door.

The doctor put me on a heavy dose on antibiotics for a little over a week and my symptoms were getting worse; I was dropping knives while preparing meals, burning myself on the oven racks, walking in to walls, forgetting what I was talking about mid sentence.. needless to say, I went back to the doctor. He ran some neurological tests and he was happy with all the results but scheduled an MRI for me just in case. I frantically searched my symptoms online and of course the internet diagnosed me with cancer and MS (never Google your symptoms.. especially if you have anxiety).
My MRI was on Tuesday morning and I got a call back on Wednesday with the results: no abnormalities in the brain or auditory canals. Good news, right? Well, yes.. but my ears are still swollen, my balance is off, I am forgetful (I sent a resume with typos.. good job self), I am very tired.
I don't feel like something dire is going on with me.. the doctor did say he thought it was vertigo and that it could last for up to six months, but I just feel off. I feel like I am a  shell of myself; I don't want to talk too much because I know I'll forget what I am talking about, I am fearful of exercise because I don't want to collapse by myself with Logan (am I being dramatic?), I want to fall asleep as soon as Logan does.
 
I don't know if it's vertigo or the awful humidity and heat or if it's all the stress and anxiety I went through last month still making it's way out.. I'm just ready for whatever it is to go away so I can be a normal functioning person again.

xo
-Ali

3 comments :

  1. I'm so glad you mentioned Vertigo! I worked in physical therapy for 6 years and we had therapists that specialized in Vestibular rehab. What happens is your inner ear crystals become loose and totally knock off your equilibrium. A therapist who is trained in this can usually take care of it in a few treatments! Don't let doctors stress you out, they usually don't even know as much about it as a trained therapist, have them refer you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll definitely look in to that if it's still going on in a week or so.
      Xo

      Delete
  2. Glad that the tests came back okay. My grandmother got vertigo a few years back. It lasted for about 3 weeks and she said it was the most out of place feeling she had ever had. Prayers you are better soon.

    ReplyDelete